Education and Sustainable Development Goals share a deep relationship with each other and it is critical for youth to develop capacities to be effective leaders in solving the challenges which face the world and towards a better life for all. Teachers play a crucial role in the learning process of the students and shaping their mindsets, attitudes and inculcating leadership, critical thinking skills with the students.
The Varkey Foundation works to improve the capacity and status of teachers and school leaders, and The Dais works with educational institutions and youth-focused organizations on bringing SDGs to the youth.
Together they host a Masterclass and Workshop for Teachers and Educationists on taking SDGs to classrooms and outside classrooms with the students. The session begin with 15-20 minute lessons given by exceptional teachers on the theme of ‘learning to take care of oneself, others and the planet’, attended by Festivalgoers in the role of learner, with Q&A possible, followed by a workshop gathering insights and reflections from senior educators, administrators on how they have taken on SDGs in their educational institutions and the challenges which they faced.
- 13:35-13:55 CET [SDG Workshop]: Edrees Tabassum, Coordinator of The Dais SDG Lab, Mazar-e-Sharif, Balkh, Afghanistan & Academic – Vice Chancellor, Taj University, Balkh
- 13:55-14:15 CET [SDG Workshop]: Rupa Chakravarty, Advisor, The Dais & Director, Education at Suncity Schools, Gurugram, India
- 14:15-14:35 CET [Masterclass]: Sean Bellamy, co-founder at Sands School, Devon, UK
- 14:35-14:55 CET [Masterclass]: Sibel Tartut, English Teacher, Dublin, Ireland
- 14:55-15:15: CET [Masterclass]: Stephen Ritz, Founder of Green Bronx Machine, USA
- 15:15-15:35 CET [Masterclass]: Breanna Heels, Vice-Principal, Bruce Peninsula District School, Ontario, Canada